Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Monday, March 13th

This post is a little late. I've been caught up with some things at work which prevented me posting it sooner. I appologize for the delay.

Monday was a pretty busy day. You could say it was a not a typical monday, but in my line of work I don't believe anything day is typical.

Started off like a normal day. Assignments are laid out on my desk, and then we get to work. My first was a 12:00 luncheon for a local service club. Around 11:10 the assignment editor told my reporter and I that we should head to a tractor trailer accident on U.S. 30. It was rather windy, and we both just figured the trailer rolled over because of the wind.

Apprently the wind picked up the back of the empty trailer and lifted it off the highway, so when the driver went to correct sent her off the side of the road. Unfortunately police say she didn't have her seat belt fastened, and was ejected from the cab.

When we got there they already had the white sheet up and were asking us not to take photos until the body was removed. Not a big deal. The media outlets just set up shop on the side of the road and chatted until the scene was clear.

Apprently the deputy handling the scene thought we were disappointed at thier request not to shoot til things were clear. He couldn't be more wrong. What amazes me is how he thinks the press just wants the bad pictures, the bloody images. I'm sure there are people out there who want to see this, however having worked in the field for some time you kind of get tired of it. I don't know, maybe I'm just a guy who has a heart.

On the way back decided to stop for a slushie at a local dairy stand. It was a nice day for March, with temps in the mid-60s. Lucky for me the person who prepared it didn't attach the lid properly, and without my notice my first attempt to take a drink the car resulted in failure. the lid popped off and spilled most of the ice down the front of my station windbreaker. The circles - thats the damage. As you can tell this is already becoming one of the worst days of the week, and the week is just starting.

My next assignment is at 2:00pm. It's an interview with the Sheriff. Everything was going smoothly until I went to hit record and my tape wasn't rolling. I ejected the carriage, and tried to remove the dvc-pro doomsday device with no avail. So luckily we had another crew just upstairs in the courthouse who came down to shoot the interview. I had to take the camera to the engineers who solved the problem so quickly I felt silly.

I guess you'll have days like this, I just hope I don't get too many of them in a week.

No comments: