Sunday, March 12, 2006

Friday, Saturday, And The Death of a Weekend

I was going to post on friday night, but had to work a double shift shooting some High School Boys Tournament basketball. I can't complain. It was actually a good game. I didn't think the final would be so lopsided, and actually thought the opposite team would win. Guess that's a surprise for all.

When you go and shoot a game at the particular arena I was at, you don't have much room. So they decided for the top-side shooter they would build a crows nest, which is basicly an area that is attached to the wall at the very top of the nose-bleed section. The one I was at apparently didn't like the wall idea, and decided to suspend it from the ceiling using 4 metal rods and four corner supports. So I was suspended about 8 feet above the very highest row in a box made out of plywood. I felt quite safe, to say the least.

On Saturday our city's annual Irish Day Parade kicked off at 11:30am. I'm usually not one to go to parades, but our staff was very limited, and I felt like I could at least go and get some neat shots, or just wave to people. I ended up handing out candy to the town's youth, then after we ran out of gum about 3/4 through the route, just did my presidential wave impression to the crowd. I even got the weather guy snap off a picture for the blog.

Didn't really do much after the parade. I am currently trying to rest up for the upcoming work week, but I know that I'll still feel tired and worn out no matter how much rest I get.

I think it comes with the job. I know a lot of other photogs that seem like their life is a complete rush. I used to get enjoyment from the rush, and even though I get tired, it does keep me busy. I like the spontaneity of the job.

However when I was talking about driving to Mansfield a earlier this week, I realized something I really hadn't thought of. So allow me to wax philosophic right now, and explain some ideas.

I was running late getting out of the game, and had to rush back an 1 hour 20 min. drive to get the video on the air, and that was with only about a 10 minute margin of error. I realized all the times I had been in the situation before. How I'm usually the one the people can count on in these situations. And all the times I've spent rushing to get to a deadline and wishing time would speed up or slow down I was basicly wasting my life.

I'll never get those 40 minutes of that car ride back where all I did was stare at the tailights in front of me. The time I spent rushing is time I'll never get back. However it's my job, and I can't just mess around when deadlines and assignments are like clockwork.

I'm sure many other photogs have felt the same way. It's just the way it is, so enjoy life when working, because you'll never get those hours back.

No comments: