Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Engineers, Spoons, & Happy Daz


Now That I've got your attention with the title of this post, let's get started. I didn't have my digital camera with me today, so I had to use some "stock" internet images. I'll try to carry it with me tomorrow.

I bet you're wondering what it is exactly that those three things have in common, and why I spelled days with a "z".

Started off my day with an Engineering Seminar to help celebrate National Engineers' Week a little late I guess. High School and College kids from the area were brought in to learn more about the different types of engineering they could do. From Civil, Mechanical, Auto, and more these kids were having fun. Each "Workstation" had a different hands on activity for them to take part in. Whether it be building an electric race car, to construction of a mini-bridge and testing it's weight limitations. It was good to see kids having a good time with something so "Technical". Hopefully there were a few junior engineers in my presence this morning.

After the morning assignment, went back to the shop to edit some basic VOs and VO/SOTs. For those of you that don't know, Vo=Voice Over. That is when you are watching the news and the Anchor reads over a piece of video, whether it be a car accident or church service. A SOT=Sound On Tape. That is business jargon for an interview. So when you see video with the anchor reading then a talking head appears on screen and you hear that person, you are watching a VO/SOT. Both VOs and SOTs can exist without the other, you don't need a SOT to have a VO, or vice versa. However to have a VO/SOT you need both.I don't know why I spent all this time explaining these things, but hopefully you have learned something from this. Consider it your insider tip for the day.

After doing some editing, I had to grab a reporter and head on over to a local nursing home. One of it's patients had his 94th birthday today. It didn't seem special to me at first, until I realized his special talent.




Spoons!

This guy was a had been playing the spoons for ages. He had even gained the popular nickname Mr. Spoons around the city.

All the nursing home staff had to do was turn on the Dementia Unit's Radio to big band and off he was. I had never seen a person play the spoons in person, and it was quite amazing to see.

Our interview with him didn't turn out too hot. He was hard to understand and only gave out one word answers that sometimes didn't even make any sense. But at the end, as we were going to leave, he shook our hands and said two words: "Thank You".

In this line of work it's not too often you get praised with those two words, or often praised at all. It seemed like we made his day by being there and just helping him celebrate his birthday, and we probably did. Hopefully it was one he will never forget.

After that assignment my reporter and I stopped by a local burger joint called "Happy Daz" to grab some Three O'Clock lunch. It's a great place to stop and grab some grub, so if you're ever in my part of the country, I recommend it.

I nearly forgot to mention. I had something else happen to me at the nursing home that usually doesn't happen.

I was shooting a wide shot of the table with the cake on it and and old lady flicked me the bird. Luckily my reaction time was quick, and we weren't live.

Maybe it was just her way of saying "Thank You!"

No comments: